A running toilet is more than just an annoyance – it can also waste a huge amount of water. A typical running toilet can use up to 200 gallons of water each day, wasting both money and resources. Additionally, if the issue is left untreated, it can lead to further plumbing problems in the future. It’s important to address any running toilet issues promptly in order to avoid any costly repairs or wasted water.
Why Is My Toilet Running?
Fundamentally, a running toilet happens because water is escaping from the tank and into the bowl, causing a flush cycle to occur. That said, there’s more than one reason why this can happen.
There are several possible explanations for why your toilet may be running. Some of these include:
- A malfunctioning flapper valve: This is a common source of running water and is usually caused by the valve being worn down or not closing properly, which allows water to constantly flow from the tank into the bowl.
- An issue with the fill tube: If the fill tube is not properly connected or has come loose, it can cause water to continuously leak from the tank into the bowl.
- A stuck float ball: The float ball helps control the amount of water in your toilet's tank and if it gets stuck, water will continue to run until you reset it.
- A clogged flush valve: If your toilet's flush valve is blocked or partially closed, water will be unable to exit the tank, resulting in a running toilet.
- An incorrectly adjusted float arm: If the float arm isn't set to the proper height, it may not cut off the flow of water when it should. As a result, the toilet will keep running.
Repairing any of these problems, however, can be difficult. If you experience any of these issues with your toilet, it's best to call a plumber for help. They can quickly identify the cause of the problem and help you get it fixed. That way, you can enjoy a properly functioning toilet again in no time!
Call Carter Quality Plumbing, LLC for Help!
If your toilet won’t stop running or you have another plumbing problem anywhere in your home, don’t wait to get help! Instead, reach out to Carter Quality Plumbing, LLC for the reliable plumbing service you need. Rest assured that our professionally trained experts have all of the skill and know-how necessary to help you fix any problem!